News and Announcements
The weather cooperated and we held our first baseball skills clinic on Saturday at Shoreline Athletic Fields. Approx 50 young players attended the first session and the older 30 attended the second session. It was great seeing everyone come out to enjoy the no-rain day.
We have 3 more baseball skills clinics scheduled for the first 3 Saturdays in February. The next 2 weekends in January are devoted to holding player evaluations for the Majors and Minors player drafts.
An email announcement was sent on Wednesday afternoon, containing the schedule of activities and a weather forecast. There were 2 sessions (note the times and age groupings):
- 10 to 11 AM, 4 to 8 YO. Throwing and defensive skills.
- 11:30 to 1 PM, 9 to 12 YO. Throwing and defensive skills.
- WHERE: Shoreline Athletic Fields, 2450 Garcia Ave, MV, 94043
- WHEN: Saturday, January 13, 2024
- COST: FREE!
8 year-olds wanting to play up to the Minor Division should attend the 9-12 YO session. Prospective players who have not yet signed up are welcome to attend. This a free activity for everyone who attends.
The Junior Division will start their practices starting the following week, on Saturday, Jan 20 at Shoreline. In February, the Juniors will change to Sunday afternoon practices.
Our first clinic will focus exclusively on defensive skills – proper techniques for fielding ground balls and fly balls, defensive positioning, etc. As is our standard for skills clinics, each age-group will engage in age- and skill-appropriate drills and will be instructed by current and former MVLL coaches and alumni MVLL players.
In order for the players to receive maximum benefit from the clinic, we ask your player arrive 5 minutes prior to the start of their session and be ready to have fun, equipped with the following:
• Baseball glove that can be closed easily by the player
• Baseball pants or sweat pants (no jeans or shorts, please)
• Baseball cap
• Protective cup for the boys
• Athletic shoes, baseball cleats (no metal cleats). No sandals or open-toed shoes, please. Shoreline is an all-weather artificial turf field.
• Waterproof outerwear or change of outerwear when done with the clinic in the event of light rain. Have a dry towel or 2 on hand.
• Water bottle or personal hydration gear. (No food is allowed on the field and dugouts. Water only. No sports drinks or sodas.)
If your player is not feeling well before or during the clinic, we ask your player self-withdraw from participating.
As this clinic will focus on defense only, bats are not necessary. Batting helmets will not be needed, however there will be a catching drill using tennis balls and some players may be more comfortable wearing a helmet if they are not experienced in catching fly falls.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT ANY EQUIPMENT/GEAR/CLOTHING BROUGHT BY YOUR PLAYER IS LABELED CLEARLY WITH THEIR NAME. We will have a small number of gloves available for players to use during the clinic so don’t rush out and purchase a glove just to attend the clinic. We will also have helmets available to use during the tennis ball drill.
We have been closely watching the Saturday weather forecasts.
- We anticipate light rains throughout Saturday, starting in the early AM. In total, less than 0.05 inches are expected to fall in the 4-hour period starting at 10 AM — which means sporadic sprinkles possible throughout the clinic times. However, not all of the weather models are in agreement as to precipitation amounts per hour. Some are heavier at 10 AM, others are very light. Temperatures are expected to start out in the low 50s at 10 AM with light winds, gusting up to 20 mph throughout the day. Cloud cover is expected to be in the 90% range.
- NWS Weather Table for Shoreline
- What does 0.05 inches of rain look like?
We will have a Registration Information Table available at 10 AM to answer questions about Spring Baseball. We will be available to examine new player documentation (proof of player’s birth date, residency address in Mountain View, or proof of attendance at a Mtn View school). Registration for Spring Baseball is done online at mvll.info. There are no paper forms to fill out. We can accept in-person payments in cash or check. Online payments are done at https://mvll.info/Registration_Payment.html
We’ll be announcing the schedule of the first Baseball Skills Clinic of 2024 to be held on Saturday, January 13 at the Shoreline Athletic Fields. Shoreline is an artificial turf field and usable even after light rains. All of our clinics in January and February will be held at Shoreline. The clinic is free to everyone to attend — both registered players and prospective players to MVLL.
There will be 2 session, one for the 4 to 8 YOs and another for the 9 to 12 YOs. Start time is tentatively 10 AM for the younger group. Start time for the older group is TBD. The updated announcement will describe what playing equipment to bring and what to wear.
We will have a registration information table at the clinic. All registrations are done online so there’s no need to wait until the clinic to sign up. The information event is to answer questions, accept in-person payments, and for verifying residency documentation (date of player’s birth and either their MV residential address or proof of attendance at a MV school).
The current long range weather forecast is for light rain to end on Friday night, before the day of the clinic.
Please complete the 2024 Spring Baseball Registration Form and complete the payment step for each of your players to receive a $25 discount per player. An additional $10 sibling discount is available after the first player in a family is registered.
NOTICE – If player registration forms were submitted online on or before Jan 1, 2024, please complete the discounted payment step immediately. Use the Discount Link at the bottom of the Payment Page.]
To receive confirmation of completed payment, please look for a PayPal confirmation or use this list the day after having completed payment.
Registration forms are completed online (no paper forms will be available). Online Registration Page
*Our next In-Person Registration Information Event will be on Saturday, Jan 13, 2024 from 10 to 11 AM at Shoreline Athletic Fields during our Baseball Skills Clinic for players registered for Spring Baseball and for prospective players interested in registering for Spring Ball. Information events are scheduled every couple of weeks through February. These events are primarily for players and families new to the league where we are available to answer questions, accept cash and check payments, and verify player documentation (proof of date of birth and Mountain View residency or attendance at a Mountain View school).
The Spring Registration Information Page, 2024 Baseball FAQ Page and the Baseball Division, Skills, and Age Page have been updated with current information. If an issue is not addressed on these and registration information pages on our website, please send questions about registration to firstname.lastname@example.org. Other questions (such as volunteering, sponsorship, etc,) can be sent to email@example.com.
New for 2024:
- The Rookie Division has been re-instated. 5 and 6 year-olds with at least 1 year of T-Ball experience are eligible. 7 year-olds are eligible having no prior baseball experience (first-timers).
- Spring Baseball Division age groupings have been re-defined. Reminder – Baseball ages are used (not the player’s birthdate age. A player’s baseball age for 2024 is their age on August 31, 2024. Online Calculator
- Team Managers and Assistant Coaches (and board members) are required to comply with California’s AB 506, that requires all youth-serving organizations to take several steps to protect children from neglect and abuse.
The last of the District 44 interlock games were played on Sunday, October 29. MVLL ends the season with our Fall Ball Brawl on Sunday, Nov. 5, at Little McKelvey. Farm game starts at 10 AM, Minors at 12 Noon , then Majors at 2 PM.
The Snack Shack will be open and the grill fired up offering grilled cheeseburgers, hamburgers, and hot dogs for sale.
|Sun, Nov 05
|Sun, Nov 05
|Sun, Nov 05
Note – Home and Visiting Team is determined by a flip of the coin before the start of their game. The schedule shown above does not show the outcome of the coin flip.
A 1-page listing of all MVLL games is located in Handouts: https://www.mvll.org/organizations/16521/documents/560535